happy happy birthday to my amazing mother! this girl could not ask for a better mother and friend. we love you, to the moon and back!
thank you for your christlike examples of love, compassion, kindness and service. i am forever grateful that you have taught me to work hard and love much (and... bake, cook, garden, laugh, smile, sing, and dance like no one is watching).
i'm still sick and it's ridiculously cold here. i have a puney immune system. so, instead of focusing on the negative, i'm trying to focus on my blessings.
i'm grateful for my sweetheart (who spoils me when i'm sick), for cinnamon life cereal, for electric blankets, for my jody slippers (that aunt jody made), for lentil soup and homemade bread, for sunshine coming through windows, for my muddy waters pandora station, for microwave rice bags, and coconut perfume.
also grateful for good movies. to name a few.. i have watched the three amigos, butch cassidy & the sundance kid, jeremiah johnson, and true grit. i highly recommend them all.
i'm sharing a family favorite recipe that we typically make around the holidays. i'm sure when people hear that the recipe uses saltines they are a little suspicious.. until they taste it. so yummy and so easy.
35 unsalted soda crackers
1 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup nuts (optional... we like chopped almonds)
1. preheat oven to 350* F. cover cookie sheet with foil. spray foil with cooking oil spray.
2. place crackers on foil in 5 x 7 rows.
3. microwave butter on high for 2 minutes. add brown sugar and stir. microwave on high for 2 more minutes, stirring every 30 seconds.
4. pour over crackers. bake 17-20 minutes (should bubble but not burn).
5. sprinkle chocolate chips over hot crackers. spread after 2 minutes (chips have softened). sprinkle nuts on top.
6. refrigerate 1 hour. break into pieces. can be frozen.
i am under the weather today. grateful that i made zupa toscana yesterday and grateful to hear rain on the windows and still see beautiful autumn colors outside. p.s. pine scented candles are my current obsession.
jared had about an hour between school and work today so we went to our favorite place, the park cafe. during our meal, i told jared that when i'm at the park cafe, i love salt lake just a little bit more. we don't plan on living here long term, and someday when we do leave, i will probably miss the park cafe the most. eat there. you'll love it.