Thursday, November 4, 2010

mushroom heavenly goodness.


Last night I took TRAX home from work, stopped at Whole Foods to pick up two pounds of baby bella mushrooms, and made my way home with my brown bag. I got home, spent a good chunk of time sprawled on the couch, speaking to my wonderful brother, Tyler, on the phone... then started cooking. I spent the day at work, craving mushroom soup. So I attempted to conjure some up. I only used one pound of mushrooms initially and LOVED the outcome. But I didn't have much soup to show for my work. So I used the second pound to make another batch. It doesn't look very appetizing in the photo, but I promise, so yummy.
I studied a few different recipes I found online, and this is what I came up with:


1/2 cup butter (one stick.. I know, naughty)
1 sweet onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 lbs mushrooms, chopped
1/4 teaspoon thyme
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup half & half (again, naughty)
kosher salt & fresh ground pepper to taste

In a large pot, cook onion and garlic with butter for about 5-7 minutes.
Add chopped mushrooms, stir occasionally for about 10-12 minutes until mushrooms start releasing liquid, uncovered.
Add stock and thyme, stir occasionally for about 10 minutes, uncovered.
In blender or food processor, puree half of the mixture, then add it back to the pot with remaining mushrooms/stock.
Add half & half, add salt and pepper to taste ( I was pretty generous with the salt and pepper)
Simmer, uncovered, for another 5-10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment