Thursday, April 28, 2011

zion. angels landing.



we made the drive down to zion for a hike and quick camp out. last time Jared and I went we did the narrows. amazing. it has been a few years since I have hiked angels landing, and Jared never had, so.. that was next on our agenda. upon arriving at the park we noticed caterpillars EVERYWHERE, they were falling from the trees where they were hatching from web-like, silk tents. hmm. sorry caterpillars, there were too many of you to avoid squishing some of you.. also, they were ALL OVER our campsite, falling everywhere. we woke up to them crawling all over the tent. should've taken pictures..






(half-way through the hike.. still smiling!)


ready for our angels landing story? here we go.. first, let me clarify, I have hiked angels landing before. 1500 foot hike, it's fun, gorgeous, a little sketchy, but not thaaat crazy. so, this time, I didn't anticipate having any problems. I made it through the first couple sections of chains, then I kinda started freaking out. I looked at the rest of the hike and wanted to throw up, all over it. so.. after 10 minutes of that, sweet sweet Jared guided his special wife back down the chains to wait for him while he hiked to the summit. THEN, I was scared for his life. goodness. I made him say a prayer with me for his safety. he took off, and I immediately started crying, imagining him dying somewhere along the way. really? no, really? what was wrong with me?! so not like me. a very special moment in my life, I guess. I waited for about an hour until I could spot him coming back down and immediately thanked Heavenly Father for keeping him safe. so... here are some beautiful photos he captured at the top, and fun photo of him. the end.


(photo below I took at the spot where I froze and started freaking out. I stood there watching people go up the little red marked path, trying to gain confidence.)

(photo below Jared took from the summit looking back at where I sat, waiting.)








7 comments:

  1. Awesome pix! I'm with ya! The older I get the less I can handle precarious locations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE YOU!!! Sorry to say I was laughing during your story, but I too would have been freaking out! No way jose!!! And super gross to the catepillars... that's gross. Love your guts though!!!

    PS: Remember how Koda almost made Jared's nose melt off from her gas?? Well as I'm writing this, my nose is about to melt off too.. I better protect Kennedy's ! :) Love you! ~ Michael Jackson style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS PS: I wasn't laughing at the actual story, I was laughing at the way you told it. Thank goodness we can laugh about it now, huh!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to finally see the photos and route. Wow, that's one I wouldn't be making either. Congrats to you for making it in the past and Jared's accomplishment this time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Ok, first I may have started the freaking out and crying long before you! Probably when there were catepillars falling from trees. One or two catepillars = cute. More = yuck.

    That hike is so tiny and scary! Jared you are a rockstar! Linny I don't blame you one bit for not going. Gorgeous pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't allow Andy to do the same hike a few weeks ago and I didn't care how "silly" or whatever he might have felt, I simply need him around and I like him quite a bit, and I daresay you feel the same about darling Jared. So beautiful from any vantage point anyway. xoxo

    ReplyDelete